For those of you who didn’t know, Geoff works full time for our church – Elevation Church
– as the lead motion graphics designer. Each year in the summertime, as a spouse of a staff member, I get invited to the annual “Staff Advance” (we don’t retreat – we always advance). And each year, I leave feeling A) better able to support Geoff and his role on staff and B) fired up to grow our business further.
The truth is…our pastor – Steven Furtick
– is not only one of the best preacher’s of our time, but is an incredible leader and is business savvy like whoa. And so, each time I get an opportunity to hear from him, I am hanging on his every word; furiously taking notes and chomping at the bit to get home and apply the things I’ve learned.
Wednesday was Staff Advance 2011 and it did not disappoint. This year’s theme “The Best” allowed the staff to measure how our church stacked up to the best companies in the world, as well as to the best churches in the world. We talked through production, marketing, web presence and our volunteer teams – all of which spurred a ton of new ideas for me.
My greatest take away was simple – it wasn’t anything specific that was said – it was more the format of the day. Evaluation. I am excited for things to slow down (slightly – from a shooting perspective at least) next month so I can spend some time in some honest evaluation in the following areas (in no particular order):
1) Marketing (web presence, branding/identity, print/product materials)
2) Administration (personnel, finances, processes)
3) Customer Service (correspondence, consults, image/product delivery)
4) Networking (vendor relationships, photographer relationships)
5) Creative Development (shooting approach, post-processing)
6) Industry Contribution
By digging through each of these areas we’ll be determining our priorities/areas of focus for the next 6 months/year and in turn, develop an action plan to carry it out (with completion dates to aim for – crucial detail).
Just can’t wait to jump in. 🙂
Thank you, THANK YOU to our Pastor and staff at Elevation – the best is yet to come!